Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

A quickie rebatch, perfect for a birthday gift!




#lemonverbena #rebatchingsoap #homemadesoap
#birthdaygift


Re-batched Lemon Verbena Soap



Tuesday, November 18, 2014


This will be a blog about a quickie rebatch that I (Kathy) did Tuesday evening.

One of my friends, Randy (we've mentioned Randy before - she makes beautiful baskets, cards and wine cork items), loves our Lemon Verbena soap very much!  She alone is responsible for us even having a Lemon Verbena soap.  

As it turns out, Randy is just about to have a birthday, and a pre-birthday luncheon had been planned for Wednesday. Of course I thought the Lemon Verbena soap we had on the shelf would be a great gift, but.....it wasn't very pungent. I could still smell lemon verbena, but not LEMON VERBENA!  So I got the bright idea to rebatch the soap and add additional scent to jazz it up.  This brilliant thought occurred at about 5 pm Tuesday (the night before the party) while I was getting dinner ready!  I'm nothing if not spontaneous!

So I grabbed the lemon verbena bars we had on hand and quickly put them through the Cuisinart using the "fine" grating disc.  Once I was finished with the lemon verbena, I found one last orange grapefruit soap that we had missed during an earlier rebatch, so it too went in to be grated.


RIP old lemon verbena.



When I finished grating, I had approximately 3 pounds of soap flakes.
I added almost a cup of distilled water to the flakes then heated them in a turkey roasting bag.  After an hour or so the soap was reconstituted into a HOT, mushy mass of wet soap.  I opened the bag and poured in 2-1/2 ounces of Lemon Verbena FO, then by pressing, mashing, and mushing through the bag, I mixed it all together.

Once it seemed to be thoroughly mixed I cut open one corner of the bag 
and squeezed the hot soap into the 10" silicone mold.
It set up overnight.
And.....



Looked just like this when it was cut this morning (Wednesday, the day of the party).




The smell was fabulous, it is one of my favorites.
I wrapped up two of the pieces of soap, (I used white tulle netting, as I wanted it to be pretty yet still get air during the hours before the party).
Added a yellow ribbon to keep it together.



And ta da.....the best gift ever, I know Randy will love the soap.

Rebatched Lemon Verbena Soap.
Ready to use immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment