Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

One of our favorites, Ocean Mist....short and sweet!





#OceanMist #HotProcessSoap #crockpotsoap



Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Alison was doubly occupied today with a Doctor's appointment and a sick daughter so I was on my own.  The choice of which soap to make was easy; after doing inventory last week we knew we needed more Ocean Mist so that's what I made.

If you've followed this blog for very long you've probably seen us make Ocean Mist before because it is absolutely one of our most popular soaps. We like to document each batch of soap in the blog so that with any given soap a person can see exactly how we made it.

So without further yapping, here are the pictures and a brief description of the action.


Ocean Mist comes from +Natures Garden; they describe it as follows:  A complex bouquet              of carnations, lily of the valley, and hyacinth; underlined by oakmoss and white musk.                      
We love it!

What has become our signature colors for this soap are 1982 Blue Mica and TD from +Bramble Berry,
 I decided to add a little Icicle Mica (from +Rustic Escentuals) to the 1982 Blue.



Here is what they looked like when I mixed the colors with Safflower oil.
I added the TD to the entire batch of soap.



I didn't use the microwave to melt the oils today.  Instead, I put the crock pot on high and after 30 - 45 minutes I had melted oils.   Then I added my mixed lye/water/silk.
Yes, I added silk to this batch.



After cooking for 30 minutes the soap looked like this (above), but it still had a little over an hour to cook until it was done.

.

And the above photo shows how the soap looked when it was done.  No, that is not a picture of mashed potatoes.

I tested the soap with a PH strip and it was good,  then I did a zap test for extra insurance.
The soap was done.




In goes the Ocean Mist FO.



I removed about 4 -5 cups of batter from the crock and mixed it with the blue colorant.  Since HP soap begins to harden as soon as it's away from heat, I put the measuring cup with the 1982 Blue into a bowl of VERY hot water.  The plan was to keep the soap warm and pliable while I mixed the blue, then add it back to the white batter for an "in the pot" swirl.



Batter goes into measuring cup with 1982 and I begin to mix.



Blue is all mixed and it is still warm and pliable, yay!



Dumped the blue batter back into the remaining white batter in the crock and swirled just enough to mix them "somewhat."


Once I had the colors swirled, I dumped all mixed batter into a prepared mold, then I slammed it on the counter top several times to remove air bubbles.



Finally, I inserted our handy dandy dividers and put the soap into the curing room for 24 hours.
How easy was that?
(Gee, I think I sound like Ina Garten!? The Barefoot Contessa from Food Network)


Now, you get to see the HP bonus bar. See all the leftover soap residue in the crock pot?



If you scrape and scrape and scrape, you wind up with a bonus ball of soap. Nice!

Flash forward to Thursday afternoon.


Perfect bar of Ocean Mist!



The sun was really bright (for a change!) and the soap looks a bit washed out, 
but it is definitely not. 



The soap is a nice contrast of blue and white.
It will be ready to go on Thursday, Feb. 12.



No comments:

Post a Comment